Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:41:02 +0100
From:      "Oppeneer, M." <M.Oppeneer@student.tue.nl>
To:        "'Joe & Fhe Barbish'" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: network problem

i have a lan with connected to it: a linux router (A), a freebsd 4.5 server
(B) and a win2k machine (C)

A: a linux router with ip-masquerading, simple firewall ruleset, connected
to internet, connects the lan to the internet.

B: a freebsd 4.5 server, just installed with minimal install, so no firewall
(that is: i haven't configured it and when i type "ipfw list" it gives:
"ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available"),
kernel_securelevel="2" (from rc.conf), i commented out the lines in
inetd.conf with telnet (ordinary tcp), and the three for samba (including
swat). I added "secure" behind ttyp0 and ttyp1 in /etc/ttys (i know telnet
is not very secure, but i plan using ssh).

I cannot ping or telnet B from C or C from B. I can however ping and telnet
from C to A (i log in as root) and than ping and telnet from A to B (also
logged in as root).

Has this something to do with choosing "Extreme security" during install?
I'm stuck...

martien

ps: I'm sorry i didn't give enough details, hope this is enough to at least
point me a direction.