Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 11:48:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        ulf@Alameda.net (Ulf Zimmermann)
Cc:        mike@sentex.net, fpollet@relay.perceval.net, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS T2P4 and Adaptec 2940AU

> At 08:37 AM 1/16/97 -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> >At 12:42 PM 1/16/97 +0100, Francois Pollet wrote:
> >>
> >>Troubles in reboot with 2.1.6-RELEASE
> >>
> >>ASUS P55T2P4 bios 1.08
> >>AHA2940AU bios 1.21
> >>Seagate ST32155N 2.1Gb firmware 0532 with a FreeBSD only partition and
> >>standard MBR
> >>
> >>No problems during installation, geometry used is the geometry reported
> >>by a DOS fdisk (261/255/63), no errors reported during installation
> >>
> >>Everything works perfectly after a power on
> >>
> >>2940AU hangs and fails to detect SCSI devices after a soft or a hard reboot
> >>A real power on is always required to restart the machine

I have seen these ``hangs'' and failure to find SCSI devices on 2940AU's
in both ASUS PCI/I-P55T2P4's and PCI/I-P6NP5's.  The problem seems worse
on the Pentium PRO (8 out of 10 times from power on it fails to find
disks, and 1 out of 10 times it hangs, leaving 1 in 10 boots :-().  I
opened a trouble report with Adaptec who said it must be my termination
or something with the devices on the chain (yea, right, swap the card
for a real 2940U and the boot works in all 4 systems 10 out of 10 times,
try again Adaptec).

It also bothered me that the card reports version 1.21 of the bios, there
was a 2940/2940U 1.21 version of the BIOS that also had some hang problems,
but again, adaptec says the 1.21 is the latest and greatest :-(.

I ended up returning all 2940AU cards to the supplier and found a batch
of real 2940U's, which will probably be the last Adaptec 2940X products
I sell, since Adaptec has denied the problem, and says there is no
more 2940U production.

Also given the fact that the AIC7860 chip is a joke compared to the
AIC7880 due to reduced SCB memory space (3 vs 16) and the 2940AU card
is greatly simplified without lowering the cost (even at the OEM level)
I am once again becoming an NCR 53C810 only shop.

> >>First I thought it was a compatibility problem between the T2P4 and the
> >2940AU
> >>but it seems to work fine with a DOS only partition

Try cold power on's, repeatedly, I beat that 1 in 10 or 15 times it
fails to find your SCSI devices.

> >>Can somebody help ?
> >

> >I am sure its not what you wanted to hear, but I had the exact same problem
> >with the above mentioned card on an ECS Pentium motherboard... I ended up
> >bugging my distributor to find me a generic 2940.... I am very suprised
> >that someone said they got that particular card working with 2.1.5.  I
> >could not even get 2.1.5 to recognize the card for what it was.

Thanks!  More evidence that this is really a generic 2940AU problem, now
we all need to go beat on Adaptec tech AND sales support teams saying they
should really give us back the 2940U and/or FIX the 2940AU AND lower the
price since they have cut the cost of production in major ways.

> >	---Mike
>
> I use a 2940U in a 2.1.5 system. It gives me sometimes at reboot the
> problem, that it lists all scsi devices found, but then never comes back
> with the Bios installed message, reset or power cycle helps mostly.

Does your 2940U happen to have the older 1.21 BIOS?  The latest version
I have seen is 1.23 and I have never seen this problem on that version.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD