Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 15:20:01 +0100
From:      Andrew Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@alcnet.com>
Cc:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modex support (again)

> > >to render text (and hence why character cell sizes for graphics modes

What if FreeBSD ends up supporting mips or sparc? These machines don't
have anything like VGA text modes, and PROM consoles suck.

> > >that should be axed). Finally, with syscons having the ability to render
> > >text fonts in graphics modes, shouldn't we be able to redefine the notion
> > >of character cell size for graphics modes to be the default character cell
> > >size and allow any available text font be used to render text in graphics
> > >modes?

NetBSD-current already does this particularly well, in all the
common colordepths (but not Mode-X ;):

	sys/dev/wsfont (in-kernel font table)
	sys/dev/rasops (raster console "operation sets")
	sys/dev/wscons (the MI console)

Andy.