Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 19:18:08 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: egcs, libstdc++, libg++, Class Library

The new ISO Standard C++ is upon you!  Rejoice!

> libg++ is not updated.

libg++ is *dead*.  Its has mostly been superseded by the STL.  See
http://egcs.cygus.com/ and the G++ FAQ for details.  For those that
absolutely need some of the libg++ classes, you can download
libstdc++-2.8.1.1.tar.gz the will work with EGCS 1.1.2 / GCC 2.8.1 from
ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/infrastructure/ (or maybe also
prep.ai.mit.edu)

> libstdc++ has some classes 'if 0'-ed out.

What from the ISO standard is missing from libstdc++?

> I have a project that uses the string class and iostream.

Whose string class?  C++ string classes are even better than standards --
everybody's got one so there's so many to choose from (and of course none
of their API's match).

> Or, is there a near-term fix for the egcs package?

There is no fix for the EGCS package as it isn't broken.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)