Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 22:41:06 -0600
From:      "Jamie Hermans" <freebsd@hermans.ab.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'Oscar Ricardo Silva'" <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>, "'Siegbert Baude'" <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>, "'Eric F Crist'" <ecrist@ardent-hacker.net>
Subject:   RE: How to enable NIC Full-Duplex ?

Hi All...

Thanks for suggestions ...

Oscar: It's a D-Link D-250 PCI nic (de driver).

       The DOS config program reports the NIC to default to
        autoselect media type/duplex.

       "man de" reports that:
         "ifconfig de0 media autoselect mediaopt full-duplex"
        should work ... it does not, I get:
         "ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured"

       BTW - the "-mediaopt" switch turns off features
        according to the ifconfig man page.  "mediaopt"
        (no dash) is the turn on switch :)

Eric: It's a 10/100 switch, with 3 other ports currently
       running at 100/full, the hardware works (yes, I
       did try swapping cables)

Seigbert: You're a genius! ;-)

Everyone: Does NOT work:
           ifconfig de0 media autoselect mediaopt full-duplex
                              ^^^^^^^^^^
          Does work:
           ifconfig de0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex

Oops ;-)

de0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:80:c8:79:8c:4e
        media: 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> status: active
        supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP

Thanks again everyone for the help!

... Jamie