Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:06:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM drive doesn't probe if no CD present [Was:cannot mount  cd  indicates bad ide cd drive - replace?]

It seems Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> Soren Schmidt wrote:
> >
> > It seems Doug White wrote:
> > > I'm lofting this up on -hackers to get the attention of the ATAPI CD
> > > driver programmer -- Soren, you still around?  Take a look at this.
> >
> > I'm here alright :)
> > Sounds like the drive has a firmwarebug, If you are running -current
> > try the ata driver instead, and let me know how that turns out...
> >
> > -Søren
> >
> Hello,
>
> What is the current state of the ata driver ? (I've just bought two 10G
> IBM drives and I certainly would like to get some command queuing on
> them, if this is possible - this, with vinum and softupdates is the
> winning combination)

Its evolving :), command queing is not in the offcial sources yet, but
I'm working on it, and it seems promising. I have one more update
going into -current soon to add some needed error checking to the ATAPI
part, and preparing the ATA disk driver for tagged queing.
When that has settled (and I get a little spare time) tagged queing is
next on the list of things to "test" on the brave -current population :)

I'm pretty happy with its qualities as of now, it is stable enough
that you can run production on it, and performance leaves little to
be desired, I get ~18Mbyte/sec from my IBM 7200 drive, which is almost
as good as it gets....

-Søren