Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:26:43 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <Inferno@nightfire.de>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

> > ... or maybe we should remind ourselves that the only thing
> > official about FreeBSD is the code. Let the CD vendors figure
> > out ways to attract customers from each other, lets worry more
> > about ways to attract 'customers' from other operating systems.
>
>Bill and Jordan are right on this one, guys.  We (as in FreeBSD) can put
>up the ISOs and every Tom, Dick and Harry with a CD burner can distribute
>FreeBSD, and differentiate themselves on packaging, sales channel, and
>customer service.  Who knows, we might even get a few local shops to pre-
>install FreeBSD on a machine or two, with their own FreeBSD discs thrown
>in.  It could happen.  I'll talk to SuperDale and see if "Totally Awesome
>Computers" will do this, they run their web site on FreeBSD.

Hi folks!

Well, I'm just returning from german Linuxtag, one of the biggest events
concernung free software. (http://www.linuxtag.org)

We ran also a booth there, providing information ( I also held some speech
there, covering the history of BSD) and some contacts.

We agreed to do something in Europe:

- providing informational structure for BSD
- providing a channel where people that want to do booths at exhibitions etc
may contact and get some help, pre-financing (perhaps) and merchandise articles
to help financing the whole thing.

Basically, those people who showed up at our booth asked:

Well, ok, it seems that this is a good OS, but where/whom can I contact in
case of trouble?
Who provides _commercial_ support?
I'd love to buy a T-Shirt or a pin, can you sell me one?
I already use BSD, but are there any books about it?
((No, not the handbook. People love to pay for additional literature
helping make the bookshelf look cool.)

So there certainly is money involved, and if we could organize it in a way,
that money flows back to the project respectively into activities that help
promoting BSD, that should be fine.

This also includes the possibility (which needs to be checked for
legal/trade commision issued yet) to provide any user with the possibility
to order some CDs, T-Shirts whatsoever.

BTW: BSD stands herein for: Free/Net/OpenBSD, BSD/OS, MacOS X, as far the
BSD portion is concerned.

Any input? Maybe we should take this over to -chat.

Olaf