Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2012 13:11:13 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compatability for various USB 3.0 / PCIe cards ?

Well friends, it's that time of year again... yep, it's shop till you drop
time!

This year it appears that everybody and his brother is having a sale on
compact (mostly 2.5 inch) external drives, and most of them nowadays have
a USB 3.0 connection.

That's swell, and there are some really good bargains on these things
out there... especially today... but there is a fly in the ointment.
My older motherboards don't have built-in USB 3.0 support, so I'll need
to add that.

So I'd like to know what (if any) USB 3.0 / PCIe adapter cards are known
to work well with FreeBSD at this time.

The cheapest one I found on Newegg was about thirteen bucks, but of course
they don't say anything about what chips are on that exactly.

There's also a Syba branded one on mazon for about fourteen bucks, and
in this case it explicitly says "Asmedia Chipset".

So?  What works with FreeBSD?  (Keep in mind that I don't want to spend
much.  Oddly enough, some of these things are priced in the low teens,
as I've said, but others cost as much as fifty bucks.  I can't imagine
that there is really that much different about the pricey ones to make
them worth the extra money.)

Regards,
rfg