Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:10:37 +0200
From:      "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Vitsch.net>
To:        scott renna <flexble2547@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dlink-g520 Wireless and WEP more

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 03:47, scott renna wrote:
> So I am still having a go at getting this Dlink card
> to work here's what i got:
>
> pluto# ifconfig ath0 inet 192.168.2.180 netmask
> 255.255.255.0 ssid XXXX wepmode on authmode open
> wepkey 0x1234567890
> ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Invalid argument

Try changing : wepkey 0x1234567890 into :
weptxkey 1 wepkey 1:0x1234567890

Which tells the device to use key 1, and then specifies key 1.
You need to start the argument of "wepkey" with the key number, it's a bit
confusing.

> pluto# ifconfig ath0 remove
> ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCDIFADDR): Can't assign requested
> address
>
> I can't remove the interface nor configure it.
"remove" isn't a valid option to ifconfig. If you want to remove the
ip-address you have assigned to ath0, try :
ifconfig ath0 delete 192.168.2.180
or
ifconfig ath0 delete
(to delete all addresses assigned to ath0)

> any ideas?
Try the above, if something fails, let me (and the list) know.

A last tip :
You can turn on/off the wireless card by entering :
ifconfig ath0 down
ifconfig ath0 up

grtz,
Daan