Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 21:50:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ben Pepa <bpepa@msn.bc.ca>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADSL with FreeBSD

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Ben Pepa wrote:
>
> > Hi;
> >
> > Does anyone use ADSL on thier FreeBSD machines.  I have talked to our
> > local telephone company (www.bcteladvanced.com) and they said you have to
> > login to the service like you would with PPP.  They only support MacOS,
> > WinNT and Win95.
> >
> > Does anyone have a similar setup in their area and is their a way to login
> > to the service from FreeBSD? They using DHCP for their IP addresses. I
> > could use my mac as a router but I'd rather not.
>
> ADSL in the United States is evolving so you have an independent box that
> has an DSL port and an ethernet port.
>
> Can you get more details from the provider?  What type of device is it? An
> internal card or standalone box?

They told me it is a ADSL modem (external standalone like you regular
28.8 modem) that has the copper RJ-11 phone jack which spilts into to
lines: 1 RJ-11 Phone line for standard telephone calls and the other is a
RJ-45 10BaseT Ethernet connection for your computer.  3 Jacks total.  They
won't tell me much more about it...

Talk to you soon,
Ben