Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 13:38:25 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        big-sky@altavista.net
Cc:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XNTP help

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 05:01:26 CST, "Mark Einreinhof" wrote:

> I was hoping that if I waited a day, that FBSD would sync back up when
> it does the daily security emails and such. Unfortunately that didn't
> happen. As I write this the Win98 client shows 0459 CST and FBSD shows
> 0703 CST.

You'll probably find that xntpd is spotting such a large time difference
that it thinks the remote server must be wrong.  Do this as root:

	kill `cat /var/run/xntpd.pid`
	ntpdate tick.uh.edu
	xntpd -p /var/run/xntpd.pid

This assumes that tick.uh.edu is the right time server to use.  The
ntpdate command will set the time correctly, whereafter xntpd should
keep you in syunc.

By the way, you should have told us that you were seeing these in
/var/log/messages:

	time error -11886773 is way too large (set clock manually)

:-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.