Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 22:06:53 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netscape4.61 install problem under 3-stable

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 10:29:50PM -0500, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Yes, I installed the linux_base port to see if StarOffice would be useful to
> me.
>
> I did an "unsetenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH" and was able to run the linux netscape
> successfully.

Great :)

> If I do the same for the FreeBSD netsacpe, it runs OK, too.

Even better :):)

> To directly answer your question, my generic .cshrc will set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> Its current value is: /usr/local/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib

That's pretty much what mine was. Just comment it out or delete it in
~/.cshrc, that's all I did and *everything* is just fine and dandy now.

> > As to why the FreeBSD native netscape doesn't work, I don't know,
> > except that it's trying to use ELF libs. What are the
> > ``ldconfig_paths='' and ``ldconfig_paths_aout'' in
> > /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/rc*?
>
> The only place these variables are set is in /etc/defaults/rc.conf:
>
> ldconfig_paths="/usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib"
> ldconfig_paths_aout="/usr/lib/compat/aout /usr/X11R6/lib/aout /usr/local/lib/aout"

Same as mine, just leave them as they are.

> I'm inclined to fix the problem by explicitly removing LD_LIBRARY_PATH from
> the netscape startup script.

Well, if you did ``unsetenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH'' *then* ran Netscape via the
startup script you should not have to bother. If you had to start
Netscape without the start-up script, to bypass the ``setenv
LD_LIBRARY_PATH'' in it, then just comment it out.

> The other solution would be to learn what is wrong with my LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> value, and I'll simply make that "right".

Nothing. It's just that, with linux_base installed, the Linux binaries
try to use the FreeBSD ldconfig paths.

Take a look at the thread "Netscape 4.61 (Linux) broken since adding
linux_base-5.2" in the -questions archive (~11/10/99) which may shed
some light on how it all works, or doesn't, as the case may be. This
was the thread I started when I got hit by this.

> Thanks very much for your help!

You're welcome. Glad to be of help, just sorry it took so long for me
to twig it was the same problem I'd had.

	"there's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture
	that allows you to install Windows too"
				   -Matthew D. Fuller