Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 2002 18:43:24 +0200
From:      Muad_Dib <muad_dib@euro-army.org>
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>, Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        lipos@pacific.net.sg, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modify boot menu options

At 19:09 2-4-2002 -0800, Chip Wiegand wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 18:26:23 -0800 Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
>wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 02 April 2002 06:19 pm, Vinceido Lipose wrote:
> >
> > > F1    FreeBSD
> > > F4    Unix
> > >
> > > I would like to change the options that appears in the boot menu,
> > > for eg,
> > > from "Unix" to "SCO Unixware".
> >
> > If this is FreeBSD's boot manager, then there is no way to do it. The
> > entries that you see are according to partition type, not installed
> > OS.
> >
> > If you want a boot manager with more customization, options, etc., I
> > would try grub.
> >
> > David
>
>I have a similar situation - at work I set up a box to dual-boot freebsd
>and nt. I used the freebsd boot manager and it shows F1 ???
>F2 FreeBSD
>So, I guess from your response I'm stuck with the ??? ? Though since I
>set this up I have yet to boot into nt for anything, been a couple weeks
>too.
>
>--
>Chip
Indead in my opinion GRUB is the best solution. You can even use the
standard "windows" mbr, and install GRUB to a floppy which invokes the
kernel on your harddisk.
There are quite a few site containing very good GRUB install instructions.

A general GRUB manual: http://www.mcc.ac.uk/grub/grub_toc.html
Article by Georg Wagner: http://www.daemonnews.org/200102/grub.html
Also try google ;)
Muad-Dib