Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:50:47 -0400
From:      Dan Armstrong <dan@beanfield.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Urgent help with Reverse Lookups and FTPD

We are a small ISP, and just turned up a new webserver running Free4.3

Most of our customers live on private (192.168) addresses and I am
getting slaughtered with phone calls that they cannot ftp into their
sites, and it is because their ftp programs don't necessarily wait for
Free's ftpd to timeout doing the reverse lookup, for an address that of
course does not have any reverse information for it.  If I add their
IP to the /etc/hosts BOOM they get in instantly.  These thousands of
addresses are all dynamically assigned, so the hosts file fix is not
possible on this scale.  Is there a way I can get it to stop? HELP!

Dan.