Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 09:29:11 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp (Yoshinobu Inoue), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should jail treat ip-number?

In message <199911090824.KAA90295@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za>, John Hay writes:

>If we want
>people to even think of moving to IPv6 we will have to make as much
>of FreeBSD's functionality work on there as possible.

I personally do not see IPv6 as being desirable at this time.

It suffers from second systems syndrome and doesn't provide any
benefit for the end-user so there is no incentive for users to
upgrade.

>> So far IPv6 has gotten no futher than OSI ever did.
>
>I think I was lucky to have mostly been screened from OSI, so I can't
>really compare them. IPv6 seem quitealive to me though.

Ohh, OSI was quite a live for a long time as well, until the government
funded life-support was cut, then it evaporated overnight.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!