Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 00:21:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.truenorth.org>
To:        andrew@shoal.net.au (Andrew Perry)
Cc:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications (was: Development and validation tools...)

>Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Greg Lehey put out a book called The
>Complete FreeBSD? Available from  Walnut Creek. My memory being destroyed
>daily by thousands of beer molecules i apologise if i have credited the
>wrong person with this book. 8)
>
>that's not to say we couldn't all benefit from some translated/rewritten in
>english type books from sources below. :-)
>
>andrew perry
>andrew@shoal.net.au
>
>HOSOKAWA Tatsumi wrote:

[ DELETED ]

Yes, you are correct. Greg Lehey did write "The Complete FreeBSD" and a
damn fine book at that. I have it on good authority that Greg is working on
another FreeBSD book. The problem still remains.

The average person trying out a free UNIX is going to walk into a computer
bookstore and be confronted with dozens of Linux books and __ONE__ FreeBSD
book. Not to mention the hundreds of WinLose books. For guys like me who
cut their teeth on 4.3BSD running on VAXen 11/750 the lack of howto books
for my favorite OS is not a real problem. If I have a question on how
something works I'll just read the source. The rest of the planet that has
this thing called "a life" wants a book that will explain how to mount a
CD, etc.

What we really need is a FreeBSD equivalent of a VW repair manual I used to
use called, "How to keep you VW alive, A step-by-step guide for the
complete idiot."  A magazine about FreeBSD would also be nice. Hell, even
Byte and PC (what-ever-it's-called) has toned down their fawning over
microsloth and started reporting about Linux.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       | Laugh while you can, monkey boy ! |    FreeBSD 2.1.6
jgrosch@sirius.com |          - John Warfin -          | UNIX for the masses