Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 22:55:33 +0000
From:      "Riley McIntire" <chaos@tgci.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What's the daemon chasing?

> To:            Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
> Cc:            FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject:       Re: What's the daemon chasing?
> Date:          Tue, 02 Sep 1997 10:55:06 +0930
> From:          Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
>
> ps.  Microsoft shouted me to go see Contact last night, which is funny
> because while I'm a "Sales Partner", I never volunteered for the job
> and have never sold any of their "product".  All in all, not a bad
> movie.  Particularly if you remove the bogus reductionist "religious"
> philosophy.  However, about halfway through I realised that I had read
> the story it was based on *many* years ago.
>
> At the end of the movie, the credits claimed that it was based on the
> book of the same name by Carl Sagan (I clapped at the "for Carl" credit,
> but nobody else got it. Morons.), and that based on a story by Sagan
> and someone else.  However, I expressly *don't* recall the original
> story I read as being written by him; does anyone remember the
> original, or have it on their shelf?  There was a lot less religious
> bunkum, and (IIRC) *three* capsule travellers, not one.

I was pleased to see the "for Carl" credit too but missed the
reference to the book.  The book was to me the first credible use
(kinda--you'd still get squished) of the concept of the wormhole as a
means to traverse space-time.  Seeing the wormhole brought the book
to mind, but it was a couple days later before I recalled Sagan wrote
it.  And your email reminds me it had a co-author.  (I think.  I
don't trust my memory anymore with respect to suggestion.  This
month's Scientific American has an interesting article on the (false)
memory phenomenon.)

Anyway, the book was worth reading, but I don't know if I'd read it
again solely because of its literary value.

I wish M$ had bought my ticket!  :)

Riley