Date:      Sat, 10 Sep 2016 08:33:57 +0800
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Search for SANE scanners freezes the system

On Saturday, 10 September 2016, Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com> wrote:

> I observe this weird fenomenon: scanimage (from graphics/sane-backends)
> freezes the system when it doesn't find a scanner on the LAN, and works
> fine when the scanner is found.
>
> The only thing that scanimage does is sending UDP broadcasts, this makes
> me think this is network related. The problem occurs reliably. Nothing is
> printed to the system log.
>

> Anybody happens to know what might be the problem?
>

> 10.3 amd64
>

> Yuri

Hi Yuri,

Can you please define more what you mean by "freezes the system"?

Does it panic the kernel (which either reboots itself or drops you to a
debugging console)?

Does the command line just not output anything and not return to the
prompt? In this case, maybe a Ctrl+c will exit the scanimage program and
return you to the prompt?

Or does it freeze your scanner (I.e. The impact is on your scanner, leaving
your FreeBSD machine running fine)?

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods