Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 00:06:08 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CRC-16 algorithms?

Ron G. Minnich stands accused of saying:
> If anyone out there can get me the coefficients, I can deliver a program
> that will do the crc-16. But working out the polynomial minus the
> coefficients, well, I'll go with Barbie on this one: "Math is hard, let's
> go shopping"

Well, I tried the Xmodem CRC-16 algorithm, and that came up with the
wrong result (0x1911), so I'm stumped 8(

> Not impossible: assuming this crc is accumulated 16 bits at a time, there
> are only 2^16 possible polynomials, after all ... at least it's not some
> crc-32!

Hmm, I was actually assuming that it was accumulated 8 bits at a time;
the RAM is normally accessed in 8-bit lots, and there's an odd number
of bytes involved...

> michael let me know if you don't get anywhere.

Ta!