Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:29:53 -0700
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG

>Any particular reason why the effort going into this isn't going
>into OpenPackages instead (where there are some Darwin developers
>involved)?

We expect to transition to OpenPackages at the same time as FreeBSD
does.  Meanwhile, we are taking advantage of the existing tools to
get large numbers of packages building, shake out bugs, etc.  When
the OP tools are ready and FreeBSD is ready to move, an analysis
of our deltas will tell us what we need to know to work under OP.
Incidentally, these deltas are diminishing with each succeeding Mac
OS X release...

The fact that some Darwin developers are involved in OP means that
the new regime is unlikely to contain any design decisions that we
cannot abide...

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841