Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:24:33 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        rchopra@cal.berkeley.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reinstalling And /usr

In the last episode (Jun 21), Rishi Chopra said:
> What is the effect on the /usr partition when reinstalling over an
> installation?
>
> I suffered a kernel panic that wiped my MBR; I'd like to simply
> reinstall with the same partition/slice values - will my /usr
> partition and the data therein still be accessible after
> reinstallation?

Sure, except anything you may have changed in
/usr/{bin,sbin,share,lib,libexec} will get overwritten.  Make sure you
elect not to newfs any of your filesytems :)  In fact, if you know your
exact mbr info, you should be able to boot the install floppy, go to
the partition editor, set it up, write, reboot, and you're done.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com