Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:54:16 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
Cc:        Christoph Sold <so@server.ms-agentur.de>, dmitry_makovey@mail.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning

Christoph Sold wrote:

> Kent Stewart wrote:
> >
> > Christoph Sold wrote:

> > > No. You need one DOS partition table entry, that is (in DOS parlance)
> > > partition 1-4. This translates to FreeBSD slice 0-3.

> > > /dev/hda3 seems to be available. Swap and all the other stuff will be
> > > maintained inside the DOS partition 3. Unfortunately, some
> > > repartitioning will be needed: FreeBSD wants its root partition to fit
> > > completely into the very first GB of your boot disk.
> >
> > Your last statement is not true when you use 4.0, if you have LBA
> > turned on. It still has to be in cylinders 0-1023 but hat works out to
> > less than 8.4GB (1024x255x63x512). I have two system with slices
> > larger than 10GB that share the main drive with Win98/NT4/W2K/FreeBSD
> > and on one of them the 100MB / partition is loaded above 5.GB. The
> > 13GB FreeBSD slice comes after a 2GB Fat, and 3GB extended partition.
>
> I stand corrected. OTOH, many BIOSes still limit your boot partition to
> the first GB of the boot disk.

Very true. I used a P90 for a year to develop an embedded system that
wouldn't boot an HD larger than 504MB without using something like
MaxBlast. The two systems I have that have the / partition over 2GB
are P-II 400 Pentium's and have current bioses. They can also handle
40GB UDMA drives and that isn't always true. Some machines can flash
to this level of bios but may not have come from the factory this way.

FWIW, the second system had started out with NT4 in the extended
partition and it wouldn't boot from the 15GB either. I hadn't backed
it up properly and tried to reinstall, which didn't work. This system
ended up with a 2GB FAT, 13GB FreeBSD slice, and a 5GB extended. I can
use the extended partition from any of the systems I can boot. I could
not add an extended partition after the 13GB slice if I created the
FreeBSD slice with 3.4. The system would hang at boot with an invalid
partition message from the bios. I was trying to upgrade to 4.0 before
the CD's were distributed and I had 3.4 on CDROM. I ended up
downloading the iso and doing a clean install. This installation
worked really well once it was upgraded to 4.0-Stable.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA