Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:18:36 -0800
From:      Chris <christopher-ml@telting.org>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Produce identical packages for checksum comparison?

Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Saturday, November 14, 2009 a las 07:51:17AM -0800, Chris escribió:
>

>> I have a somewhat flaky system.  I would like to compile ports to
>> packages multiple times and do a file comparison. ...
>>

> Hi Chris,
>
> What is behind the idea to compile and pack a given port twice if there
> are no errors during the build?
>
> 	matthias

While I don't think there will be differences I won't know until I do
it.  Call it reassurance.
To me it seems like a good stress test.

Also every time I update my ports tree I don't know what is going to
break.  I have a
jail running all the time to recompile my ports as they are updated.  I
maintain between
three to five different different ports/packages branches of different
checkout dates.

The system is somewhat flaky and crashes sometimes.  I play with a lot
of stuff
and am actually using Freebsd as my desktop.  I am sure that most of my
crashing is
due to multiple jails and using nullfs and unionfs but that isn't
relevent to my current post.

I'm also thinking of building a simple checksum database to track what
actually changes
and what my options were when I compiled it.  It would allow me to
better make
regression decisions.  I could also be free to delete packages and know
if I recompile
it later that it was the exact same package with the exact same
options.  Very simple
script to do that.  Also if say there was an option when compiling ports
to produce files
with specific time/dates it would be helpful in pinpointing which of my
port branches
a specific file came from.

Chris