Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 20:22:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> We can only avoid editing files so much. Password files, inetd.conf, services.
> These have to be editied, or we have to throw them out and replace them
> with another model. At some point, you either have to allow auto-editing
> of system files, or just leave some stuff to hand-configuration.

inetd.conf and services don't need to be auto-edited. You auto-generate them
based on the templates in /etc/packages/*/inetd.conf and .../services.

You will have to remember to edit /etc/packages/*/inetd.conf instead of
inetd.conf itself if you need to tune it. Most people don't.

The only file I can think of that can't be done this way without a lot of
pain is /etc/master.passwd