Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2017 21:51:39 +0530
From:      Gautam <list@execve.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 11.0p11 - system freeze on intensive I/O

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Gautam <list@execve.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I encountered a similar outcome of total system freeze in two kinds of
> usage. State of the system:
>
> =E2=80=8B
Replying to my own message in case someone else is searching for an answer
for this :-). I got a clue after posting this message.
There clearly seems to be a bug at least in freebsd 11.0. It has to do with
the swap file. What I forgot to mention in my earlier post was that
 =E2=80=8BI dont have a swap partition since I just put the freebsd root ov=
er the
ubuntu partition. And I had created a
swap file based on the  instructions in 11.12.2 Creating a swap file.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/adding-swap-space.html

I got a clue from the freebsd-forums:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/58266/

If the link is down (for some reason, I see the server is down quite often
these days), use the below cached link:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=3Dcache:y1bJLmSEjWUJ:https:=
//forums.freebsd.org/threads/58266/+&cd=3D2&hl=3Den&ct=3Dclnk&gl=3Din

So, I just did a swapoff -La and then ran the split command again - no
issues whatsover!

I will raise a bug report -- and try to support with logs if needed.

Thanks,
Gautam