Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:29:56 -0700
From:      "Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   APM and ACPI fail on Toshiba Satellite

I've stumbled across a Satellite 1605CDS that I'm trying to beat into shape.

ACPI fails as follows:

acpi0: <PTLTD    RSDT  > on motherboard
    ACPI-0483: *** Error: GPE0 block (GPE 0 to 15) overlaps the GPE1 block
(GPE 0 to 15)
acpi0: could not enable ACPI: AE_BAD_VALUE
device_probe_and_attach: acpi0 attach returned 6

I sort of expected ACPI to fail after watching everyone else, but the killer
here is that APM doesn't seem to work either once ACPI is disabled.  Its
error messages are less interesting.  When compiled into the kernel, there
are no error messages, but the /dev/apm device doesn't appear.

I then attempted to enable alpm, the power management device for the Aladdin-V
chipset, which responded as follows:

alpm0: <AcerLabs M15x3 Power Management Unit> at device 17.0 on pci0
alpm0: Could not allocate Bus space
device_probe_and_attach: alpm attach returned 6

APM works great under Knoppix, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Help!

-Cliff L. Biffle