Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 15:24:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Maximizing NFS server performance

    Given two fast systems (both at least P200's) and a crossover fast
Ethernet cable between them, one an NFS client and the other an NFS
server, what options do I have to maximize the performance of the NFS
server?  It will be running FreeBSD with a couple of ultrawide
controllers and a handful of disks attached to it.  I need to move
about 600,000 files totalling 12 gigabytes from one system to another.
Since the directory organization is changing, I can't use FTP or tape
backup to migrate the data.

    Using a loopback NFS mount in a P200 running 3.0-970124-SNAP, it
takes almost two minutes to copy my 23MB /usr/src/sys hierarchy (2277
files).  A dd from /dev/zero to a file on the same NFS filesystem can
only write about 550K of data per second.  I was hoping to see 10
times that level of performance.  :(  I recall an async option to
mount_nfs back in FreeBSD 2.1, but I can't find it documented
anyhwere.  Is there anything else I can do to improve NFS performance?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@risc.org)