Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 2020 16:55:46 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        Igor Pokrovsky <ip@unixway.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loader hangs on the latest -STABLE

24.04.2020 11:26, Igor Pokrovsky пишет:

> Hello all,
>
> I haven’t been using FreeBSD since 8-STABLE times. Recently I tried to install latest 12-STABLE on my old computer.
> But even during initial boot up loader hangs. Eventually I was able to proceed with installation after replacing loader in
> the installation disk with one found in my old system 8-STABLE. The same happened when I tried zfs on root partition.
>
> I used MBR partition on PATA hard drive. Motherboard was ASUS A8V (Athlon64).

Modern FreeBSD versions use newer vt(4) console driver that defaults to pixel mode rendering
and depends on correctness of ACPI tables of motherboard's firmware much more
than old syscons(4) console driver that is still available.
You should try escaping to the loader prompt first and run these commands:

set kern.vty=sc
boot

Try it and see if it helps. If so, don't forget adding "kern.vty=sc" to /boot/loader.conf
after installation.