Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:10:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Arne Woerner <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        "Jin Guojun \[VFFS\]" <g_jin@lbl.gov>, Gary Thorpe <gthorpe@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, oxy@field.hu
Subject:   Re: packet drop with intel gigabit / marwell gigabit

--- "Jin Guojun [VFFS]" <g_jin@lbl.gov> wrote:
In you example:
> Now your 1.6 GB/s reduced to 16MB/s or even worse just based
> on this factor.

What did we show by this <<dd if=/dev/zero ...>> test? I thought
that would prove the memory bandwidth is about 8Gbit/sec
(1GByte/sec; 2 * <dd's bytes/sec number>/2^30).

But I can see what u mean: On my Athlon XP 2400+ (this should be
faster than 2100+) I just get about 5Gbit/sec with the same test
(I use DDR RAM and this 266(133*2?)FSB, I think...)... I dont know
so much about hardware... But it sounds plaubsible that the
architecture around the CPU influences performence...
But it is very interesting for me to learn where the bottleneck
is...

-Arne

P.S.: Arne liked "school TV" until it was shutdown... *sob*