Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 1995 02:40:47 -0400
From:      Temptation <temp@temptation.interlog.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem

I installed Freebsd on a machine thats never given me a problem in over a
year. it's the ASUS 486sp3 rev 1.2. Harddrive is Seagate 1gig, about 2/3
months old, never a problem with it.
For the last week I've been installing a 500meg part of Freebsd alpha.
And there WAS a 500meg Dos part, that was full. I finally got all of
FreeBSD, X, and everything running great. Made new kernels etc..
Yesterday I installed ALL of packages. I ftped them to my Linux server,
which NFS them to FreeBSD machine, install worked great (pkg_manager), I
used ./sysinstall packages, had a nice menuing system.
When I was done, I played with X a little, downed the machine, cntrl
alt-del, it reset, I turned it off. Today I turn it on, and all part.
are gone. Both Dos and FreeBSD say the drive is empty. I've been around
along time, and I know parts get corrupted etc... but the drive is bare
as if I just bought it. I did a low-level check on the drive, not one
error.
( stupid part is I have many tapedrives, and I never backup my Dos part.,
so all my work is gone.)