Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 2004 20:24:20 +0200
From:      cpghost@cordula.ws
To:        Rafa Teixeira <rafa_teixeira@pop.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD schedulers (was: Re: FreeBSD)

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 10:59:27AM -0300, Rafa Teixeira wrote:
> I'm from Brasil and I would like to know what kind of scheduling
> FreeBSD uses.

Hi Rafa,

you may want to read Chapter 4 (Process Management), pages 99-108 of:

  The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System
  Marshall Kirk McKusick, George V. Neville-Neil
  Addison-Wesley Pearson. ISBN 0-201-70245-2

Fortunately for you, Chapter 4 also happens to be the online demo
chapter for this book. You may find it here:

  http://www.awprofessional.com/content/images/0201702452/samplechapter/mckusick_ch04.pdf

In a nutshell: FreeBSD (5.x) can use two schedulers, the old SCHED_4BSD
and the new, but still somewhat experimental SCHED_ULE. You can find the
source code here:

/usr/src/sys/kern/sched_4bsd.c
/usr/src/sys/kern/sched_ule.c

If you don't have the sources available, feel free to use cvsweb:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/kern/sched_4bsd.c
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/kern/sched_ule.c

Cheers,
cpghost.