Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 05:22:30 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dburr@POBoxes.com (Donald Burr)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet phone type program that works with both FBSD and Win95?

> My best friend recently moved away.  I'd like to start communicating
> with him using an "Internet phone" type application.
>
> I, of course, run FreeBSD 2.2.5-R.  Unfortunately, she does not.  (She
> runs Win95.)
>
> I'm wondering if there is an "internet phone" type application for
> both FreeBSD and Win95, that can communicate with each other (i.e. use
> the same protocol)?

well, the Mash group has recently released their toolset for Win95/NT
-- this includes vat, vic, sdr and a whiteboard-type application, "mb".
I tried them briefly yesterday and seemed to interact reasonably with
the unix version of the tools. see http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/

> At this point, all I'm interested in is audio (we don't have cameras,
> and aren't planning on getting any, although if there is a video chat
> that works with both FreeBSD and Win95, please let me know!)

at least for vic, video takes a lot of bw, too much for a modem
connection.

	cheers
	luigi