Date:      Mon, 3 Oct 2016 02:54:56 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-arm@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: u-boot efi option

On 2016-Oct-3, at 2:01 AM, Da Rock <freebsd-arm at =
herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:

> A few points that I'd like clarification on:
>=20
> 1. I'm not having much success on rpi3 with any images, but I'm =
working on my own 64bit anyway. I'm also trying to get a handle on what =
the process of running the system on the rpi3 actually is as well. =
Fun... :) So the 512kb alignment, why is that an issue? Perhaps I'm a =
little foggy, but isn't that simply a case of partitioning correctly?
>=20
> 2. I should have mentioned this initially (which is why I was checking =
efi status to see if I was banging on for no reason), but I'm having =
trouble (still) compiling u-boot version that has the efi capability =
(2016.09) - can't find <sys/_types.h>. I've tried with clang (x18 error) =
and gcc to no avail. I tried leveraging ports, but it is not exactly =
cooperating either (I'll have to try some more diags on that). Anyone =
have a clue on how to get past this? -I doesn't work, or linking to =
/usr/local/include.

Looks to me like sys/_types.h normally exists:

# find /usr/include -name _types.h -print=20
/usr/include/machine/_types.h
/usr/include/sys/_types.h

These two files are not the same by content and so are not equivalent so =
/usr/include/sys/_types.h is likely the right one. Using an armv6 =
stable/11 context the diff shows where the files came from in svn:

<  * $FreeBSD: stable/11/sys/arm/include/_types.h 301872 2016-06-13 =
16:48:27Z ian $
---
>  * $FreeBSD: stable/11/sys/sys/_types.h 299571 2016-05-12 21:18:17Z =
cem $

Note that /usr/local is not involved in the earlier =
/usr/include/sys/_types.h path.

[I've never tried to build u-boot 2016.09: the above is just a very =
generic note about where to find sys/_types.h .]

Without more details being presented it is not clear why /usr/include is =
not being used as a place to look for sys/_types.h in your context. =
(This wording presumes self-hosted builds instead of cross builds for =
the path details.)  That "not clear" status absent supporting details =
may well be true for folks familiar with building 2016.09 as well.

> 3. My other query was on the EFI boot process on arm. As I understood, =
the u-boot is equivalent to boot0? So that means boot1 should then be in =
the fat partition? Is that what you mean by /efi/boot/bootarm.efi? Or =
doesn't it need to be?
>=20
> Apologies if I sound like a complete goose, but I'm still new to all =
things arm yet - but learning fast :)
>=20
>=20
> On 03/10/2016 18:32, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:
>>  I've never had any problem with it (I know it doesn't really answer =
>> your question).
>>  SuSe have switch to EFI (the main developer for U-Boot
>> EFI is from SuSe), OpenBSD too.
>>=20
>>  The main problem right now for people to test is that the partition
>> on the arm images that we provide aren't aligned for it to work.
>>=20
>>  I either need to fix the bug for non 512kb-aligned partition or
>> aligned them in the release scripts.
>>=20
>>  Also I don't know which ports-tree re@ is using for snapshots. I =
think
>> that they use the latest quarterly for release and stable.
>>  So we have to be carefull when we will switch the ports to UEFI.
>>=20
>>  In the meantime don't hesitate to test with my patch.
>>=20
>>  If you have the correct dtb in /dtb/ on the msdos part U-Boot will =
load
>> it.
>>  For booting automatically just put boot1.efi as =
/efi/boot/bootarm.efi
<manu@bidouilliste.com> wrote:
> [...]
Allwinner
. . .