Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 22:35:22 -0500
From:      James Halstead <jah4007@cs.rit.edu>(by way of James Halstead <James_Bond_79@yahoo.com>)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: cups-1.1.10.1

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 09:43 pm, Alan Eldridge wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 09:21:41PM -0500, James Halstead wrote:
> >Yes, as with anytime tools are installed that conflict with native ones,
> > this is a problem. You may be able to remove binaries safely, but not
> > sure if kde will like having the libraries and headers pulled out from
> > under it.
>
> It's perfectly safe to install kdelibs without cups. It'll have dangling
> refs in /usr/local/lib/kde2/libkdeprint_cups.*, but as long as you don't
> set the printing system to CUPS, it'll never know the difference.

This is correct.

> kde doesn't use the lp* binaries for the CUPS interface at all; it calls
> the library code.
>
> >Perhaps the kde people would be able to remove the dependency by default,
> > and only install cups when WITH_CUPS is defined at build time? That will
> > probably
>
> You mean, "configure --disable-cups"? Well, you *could* do that, but it'd
> make more sense to just remove the dependency info from the port. It only
> matters if you're installing a binary package of kdelibs, anyway. A source
> build will use cups or not depending on whether it's there (that is, the
> default for 'configure' is look for cups and use if found).
>
> I don't know how dependencies work in ports (yet); I've spent the last
> N years dealing with RPM.

The problem is:

With binary packages, if whoever builds the packages does it normally, cups
will be built, and registered as a dependency. Now the binary package will
not install without installing cups (you can force, but sysinstall will
automatically install it if kde is installed).

With compiling your own packages, the dependency will cause it to build cups
first before kde without even asking. configure detecting things
automatically is a moot point in that case, it will always be there.

In order to fix this you need to explicitly have a WITH_CUPS, or a
WITHOUT_CUPS, so binary packages can be made without the dependency. What
would be even nicer is to have an optional dependency. When building packages
cups can be built, and included with kde as a feature, but not listed as a
dependency. This way users that want cups can just install it and kde will
work with it, those that don't, won't.

James