Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 12:53:53 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Head's up: NO_PERL -> NO_PERL_WRAPPER

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 02:39:45AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Per discussion with various folks, including Mark, I've moved the
> NO_PERL knob over to NO_PERL_WRAPPER, and documented same. Given that
> this is a fundamentally different thing than the old perl knobs, my
> opinion is that we don't need to provide compatibility, but I won't
> argue that point too strongly.

The compatibility is a moot point either way, since there was no NO_PERL
knob - it used to be called NOPERL.

> I'm currently working on a patch to ports/lang/perl5/files/use.perl to
> deal with this, and a few of the other outstanding issues.

That's fine, but I am still trying to understand why do we need a
wrapper at all.  As was indicated (on IRC, not sure it was mentioned in
the mail threads), the ability to launch /usr/bin/perl with no perl in
the system is different from the inability to launch anything at all.

=Anton.
--
| Anton Berezin                |      FreeBSD: The power to serve |
| catpipe Systems ApS   _ _ |_ |           http://www.FreeBSD.org |