Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 2004 14:08:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Martin Nilsson <martin@gneto.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Discussion on the future of floppies in 5.x and 6.x

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Martin Nilsson wrote:

> This is getting stupid!
>

> > Here at Vicor, we have over a thousand machines spread over about
> > 20 sites. About 10 of those machines have cdrom drives. Our plans call
> > for moving from 4.x to 5.x, probably at the end of 2004, maybe early
> > 2005. Most of the machien swill not have been replaced by then so
> > we'll still have very few cdroms.
>
> That is why I want to get boot from an USB CDROM to work, this way you
> just plug in the portable drive in the machine that you want to boot
> just like you do with a floppy, the difference is that you don't have to
> wait to change floppies. You can also save some money by not having to
> buy CD/floppy drives for your servers. Slim drives (for server use) are
> not cheap. Besides floppydrives tend to collect dust and never work
> anyway when you want to use them.

Many of the older machines don't have the USB connectors brough out of
the boxes The motherboards mostly have them but even then I wouldn't
guarantee that all of them do. Certainly I know that many of the
machines from 4 or so years ago have no externally accessible USB
connectors. (custom cases etc.). These boxes are doign fixed jobs and as
long as they can "keep up" they will not be replaced. That's the "real
world".

> > Luckily this would probably not be an issue for the upgrade, but
> > the Custommer Engineers (CEs) need to be able to rebuild machine quickly
> > in the case of disk failures or other problems. They use floppies at the
> > moment for this.
>
> PXE boot against an automated backup/restore service would be much more
> useful for this.

Assuming they have PXE and a supported card..