Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:28:24 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        David Banning <tracker@worldy.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System can't find shared library

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 01:29:50AM +0000, David Banning wrote:

> Thanks for answering back Crist.
>
> > Yeah. Is that file in /usr/X11R6/lib/aout? That's where it's looking
> > for the aout shared lib, not an ELF lib.
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/aout is empty.
>
> > What to do depends on some things. Is the one in /usr/X11R6/lib the
> > aout or ELF?
>
> I guess aout - but it's just an empty directory.
>
> >If the ones that should be in the aout dir are there, are
> > they properly included in the ldconfig for aouts?
>
> Don't know what ones you mean - guess cause they're not there!
>
> > I've gone through this with a few 2.2.8 (aout) to 3.4 (ELF) upgrades.
>
> That's great - hope you can stick this through with me to find out
> what I can do...
>
> I don't know if this is helpful bu I did a
> "locate libXaw" and got the following files on the system;
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.a
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.6.1

We are only concerned about shared libs, .so-files. Archive libs,
.a-files, are not at issue. To check which type of executable the shared
lib is,

  % file libXaw.so.6.1
  libXaw.so.6.1: FreeBSD/i386 compact demand paged shared library not stripped

Which will tells you its an aout executable. Of course, I just _now_ I
just realized that from the name of your files. Any lib with two numbers
(x.x) at the end is aout.

> /usr/X11R6/src/xc/exports/lib/libXaw.a
> /usr/X11R6/src/xc/exports/lib/libXaw.so
> /usr/X11R6/src/xc/exports/lib/libXaw.so.6
> /usr/X11R6/src/xc/exports/lib/libXaw.so.6.1
> /usr/X11R6/src/xc/lib/Xaw/libXaw.a
> /usr/X11R6/src/xc/lib/Xaw/libXaw.so
> /usr/X11R6/src/xc/lib/Xaw/libXaw.so.6
> /usr/X11R6/src/xc/lib/Xaw/libXaw.so.6.1
>
> I just did a "make World" in /usr/X11R6/src/xc which was fruitless
> in solving the problem BUT - as a result the top two files stayed old,
> and the bottom 8 were updated to today.

You do not need to make X all on your own. There is a port for X,
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86.

What you need to do is make sure the ELF shared libs are in
/usr/X11R6/lib and the aout in /usr/X11R6/lib/aout. Then make sure
that your lib hints are configured correctly,

  % ldconfig -elf -r | grep directories
          search directories: /usr/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/local/lib
  % ldconfig -aout -r | grep directories
          search directories: /usr/lib/aout:/usr/lib/compat/aout:/usr/X11R6/lib/aout:/usr/local/lib/aout

See ldconfig(8) to check on how to fix the configuration if it is
messed up.