Date:      Sat, 9 May 2009 18:24:37 +0200
From:      Cezary Morga <cm@therek.net>
To:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.2 - How to move to perl 5.10 ??

Oren Maurer wrote:
> So ... How do I move to the newer Perl - from 5.8.9 to 5.10?

See /usr/ports/UPDATING, entry from 20090328.

> Most important - I want it to use threads.

If you need threads you have to compile Perl with WITH_THREADS=yes flag.

You said it yourself that you have a FreeBSD with 5.8.9:

> I have just installed the latest FreeBSD version (7.2)
> perl -v tells me  that  it is v5.8.9.

So, instead of 'make install' do 'make deinstall' and then 'make reinstall'.

Afterwards, you have to recompile any Perl module (p5- ports) you already have
in your system, see /usr/ports/UPDATING. Same goes for CPAN installed modules.

PS. Haven't I seen you on Padre mailing list? :)
--
Cezary Morga
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." (Samuel