Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:29:29 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        rand@meridian-enviro.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, bryanh@meridian-enviro.com
Subject:   Re: 3ware problems

> We are having an interesting problem with a new 3ware (Escalade 6400)
> controller. We have 4 75GB IBM DTLA disks configured in a RAID 1+0
> array.
>
> Our problem is with MySQL: It will eventually just stop with a state
> of 'getblk'. The entire /var/db/mysql filesystem becomes
> stuck, any attempts of doing any operations to the /var/db/mysql
> filesystem simply hang.
>
> The rest of the system works perfectly, even after mysqld becomes
> stuck. A reboot will always complain that it can't flush a buffer, but
> the system comes back up and things work fine for a while, until it
> happens again.
>
> We have a handfull of fairly large (10 to 30 million rows) tables and
> can reliably reproduce the problem by inserting 30 million rows into a
> table. It does not always hang at the same time, and it usually takes
> a few hours of operation to get stuck.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas for us?

Not until you tell us which version of FreeBSD you're running. 8)

Seriously; there is a driver/firmware interaction that can cause this,
and if you're running something older than FreeBSD 4.2, you should
upgrade.  You'll want to make sure you have the most recent firmware on
the cards, too.

If you've done this and you're still having problems, build the driver
with TWE_DEBUG enabled, and boot a kernel with DDB enabled.  Then, when
mysql sticks, break to DDB and say

db> call twe_report

and send me the output.

Regards,