Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:17:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Nguyen Manh Tho <manhtho@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, nmtho@dit.hcmut.edu.vn
Subject:   Re: How many users that FreeBSD server can manage ?

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Nguyen Manh Tho wrote:

> I would like to know exactly how many users that the
> FreeBSD Server can manage in the system. As the answer
> from
> ttp://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D5108641+5110123+/usr/local/w=
ww/db/text/1999/freebsd-questions/19991226.freebsd-questions
>=20
> the maximum number is 65535, but from man adduser the
> maximum number is 32000. I do not know what 's the
> correct number.

/usr/src/usr.sbin/pwd_mkdb/pw_scan.c, line 87 (3.1-R):

        if (id > USHRT_MAX) {
                warnx("%s > max uid value (%d)", p, USHRT_MAX);
                /*return (0);*/ /* THIS SHOULD NOT BE FATAL! */
        }
        pw->pw_uid =3D id;

/usr/src/usr.sbin/adduser/adduser.perl, line 58:

      $uid_start =3D 1000;          # new users get this uid
      $uid_end   =3D 32000;         # max. uid

adduser seems to be coded very conservatively; the password database
allows USHRT_MAX (65536) users safely.

> I also would like to know with the large number of
> users, will the processing speed slow down ? If yes,
> how to speed up the system ?

Probably there will be some slowdown when accessing user information, but
the binary password file build by pwd_mkdb and used by the library
functions should help to keep time in limits.

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg