Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2008 00:35:48 -0500
From:      Chad Gross <avatar4d@gmail.com>
To:        Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for OS to use behind freebsd pf firewalls.

On Mar 1, 2008, at 10:13 PM, Rico Secada wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:45:14 -0600
> eculp <eculp@encontacto.net> wrote:
>
>> I have installed freebsd server in a small company that has approx
>> 30 pc's of all sizes, shapes, brands, etc.  They have just realized
>> that a large part of the problems that they had before the firewall
>> was caused by the 30 windows pc's that were connected directly to
>> the ISP's wireless router.  They would like to change the PC's to
>> unix desktops.
>>
>> I would like to install FreeBSD or any other bsd but don't feel that
>> we have the drivers available to substitute such a wide variety of
>> hardware.  I would love to be proven wrong.  Therefore I am
>> considering a linux version with a graphic installer that will make
>> it easier to train someone to install on any new machines that they
>> add later.  My problem is that I haven't done a linux install since
>> before FreeBSD 2.2 IIRC and have no idea which version would be the
>> most versatile and has an installer that is basically brain dead
>> simple with most all drivers.  I suspect that I am asking the
>> impossible but you never know.
>>
>> I'm sure that I'm not the only person to run into this situation and
>> I would sure appreciate any suggestions.
>
> In my experience from similar situations I would recommend OpenSUSE
> from Novell, since it has to be as windows "like" as possible.
> OpenSUSE
> is very well supported and since it is Novell who is behind the
> distro,
> the company can provide professional support.
>
> In general I recommend Debian over any distro, but in some rare cases
> like this one, I would rather recommend OpenSUSE.

I would recommend investigating Ubuntu or one of it's clones (e.g.
Xubuntu, Kubuntu). The install is "brainless", they offer commercial
support through the parent company Canonical, and they are Debian-based.

Another option would be PC-BSD or DesktopBSD as they both have very
easy installations and will support most things that the above
support. The only stipulation that I have run into is the standard
trouble of Flash on BSD operating systems.