Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 23:39:19 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu>, bvsmith@lbl.gov, ports%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu, gj%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu, me%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu, asami%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: xfig.3.1.4 extension to support vi -C signals linkage

Hi, Reference:
> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
>
> > In an ideal world ... True ... every package would come pre designed for ev
- er
> > last eventuality, & we wouldn't need to add anything  ;-)
>
> I'm not asking for a holy grail, I'm simply saying that rather than
> modifying n ports in the same way, it would make far more sense to
> evolve a more generic communications mechanism that *other* editors
> could also use,

Well if someone wants to take what I have done & change it to send some
appropriate X event, that'd be nice.
It'd probably be easy for an experienced X11 hacker to do,
as my diffs point the way to where to hack in vi,
but many others know more about X than me ...

> and would have well-defined hooks for ports authors to
> register if they so wished (catching SIGUSR1 is not my definition of a
> "hook" :-).

Yes, a standardised X event would be more attractive to have.
Again, my diffs point the way to where in each port the event handling
should be done.

Meanwhile it's fully functional with SIGUSR1 (& yes I too felt sqeamish
first time I used it, I'd forgotten & got used to it).

I'd be willing to later change everything to X events myself, but I don't
really know enough, I'd need some very explicit directed RTFMs,
& they'd have to be machine readable, I have nothing but the paper pink
X Win Sys Usrs Guide for R3 & R4 here, & no spare budget & book shelf space
for a meter/yard of new X books.

I also have a certain dubious doubt/lack of confidence about vi & other
intrinsically non X things handing out X events, whether its wise,
whether its easy, whether some intermediate process would be desirable,
that would be a signal to X event converter, whether that would
increase latency unacceptably.

I hope a desire for a later elegance yet to be defined & written
won't stop us benefiting from functionality meantime.

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/