Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:35:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, nate@sri.MT.net, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What do folks think of the following patch?

> > I would like a make world to also install etc if the DESTDIR is not /
> > I often make images of systems and want /etc to be rebuilt as well, but
> > it never is..
>
> Maybe once a little more work is done to "localize" the contents of
> /etc a bit more, I'll endorse this idea.
>
> Right now, however, there are a few too many /etc files that are often
> locally hacked and for which I wouldn't want to see the local changes
> go away.  A successful automated merge would also take someone writing
> a script smart enough to do the job safely and reliably every single
> time, something I'm not going to hold my breath on - it's hard.

I agree with Jordan.  The data needs to be better divorced from the
implementation.  There is too much information encoded in the /etc
directory file contents that should really be elsewhere to allow
automatic update to not shoot you in the foot (or crotch).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.