Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:52:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   disklabel fails.

I've had two curious disklabel adventures lately.  In both cases,
there was absolutely no way to convince the disk to label.

In the first, I was using fdisk/disklabel on the command line and then
/stand/sysinstall (out of frustration) on an already installed machine
with SCSI disks.  The disks probed fine, and the machine is a new
K7/550.  I don't have the motherboard name in front of me, but it's
using the TekRAM 390-F SCSI controller.

When I took the disk to another machine (which had an adaptec 2940
controller) it labelled just fine.

Similarly, I have a new PC-100 System board...  It refuses to let me
label _any_ drive during the standard install with 4.0-RELEASE.  If I
take any of these drives to an old pentium-200 motherboard, they all
install just fine.

The first error I get in the install is the installer claiming that it
can't swap to ad0s1b.  Other errors follow.

What's up with disklabel?

Dave.