Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:15:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, Martin Loeffler <martin.loeffler@utoronto.ca>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: forcing a modem to hangup

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Gary Chrysler wrote:

> Terry Lambert wrote:
> >
> 	<chomp>
> >
> > Failure modes:
> >
> > 1)      Internal modems.  Don't buy them, you can't trust them.
> >

> Thats a matter of opinion Terry.
> I feel:
> 	External modems. Don't buy them, you can't trust them.
> 	Or the hardware they require.

Gary, those of us that know how to use breakout boxes, and have dealt
with serial commercially, usually react violently against internal
modems, just because they eliminate two of the most commonly used
troubleshooting tools (front panel lights and breakout boxes).  If you
don't know how to use them, or aren't used to these tools, I guess you
might be less than understanding about the attitude, but there's a good
reason behind it.  I don't think I've ever heard of anyone with technical
experience in maintaining comm lines that would disagree.

There's a difference between trusting troubleshooting software, and
seeing results with your eyes.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |