Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:33:49 -0800
From:      W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>
To:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certification

> Linux / Solaris and FreeBSD training courses doesn't have the
> GoodWill like other training courses like MCSE, CNE, Cisco.
>

> > > Is there anyone offering a certification exam in FreeBSD knowledge,
> > > like what
> > > RedHat does with Linux, or SCO or Solaris do?

I wouldn't say that MCSE, CNE or Cisco certifications really have
that much "GoodWill" associated with them.  Rather, they have some
public recognition as a result of enormous amounts of money being
poured into marketing them.

I know quite a few rather clueless people holding multiple
certifications; they aren't necessarily any assurance that
someone knows what they are doing.

If anything, I view these certs as an doomed attempt to create
a commodity market in technical talent.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks