Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:19:13 +0200
From:      Dancho Penev <dpenev@mail.bg>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to enable ACL support in 5.0?

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 01:48:23PM +0100, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
>Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:48:23 +0100
>From: Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@buz.ch>
>To: questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: How to enable ACL support in 5.0?
>
>Hello,
>I might appear stupid or not having read the manual, but whatever I
>try, I can't get setfacl to work (keeps failing:
>setfacl: acl_get_file() failed: Operation not supported).
>
>I read the manual and it says I should add acls as option to fstab
>which I did:
>/dev/ad7s1g             /home           ufs     rw,acls         2       2

What version is this filesystem: UFS1 or UFS2 ? UFS2 has full support
for acls but with UFS1 you must enable extended attributes. If you
have kernel source files I'll suggest you to read
/usr/src/sys/ufs/ufs/README.acls.

>or use tunefs to set the flag statically in the superblock but tunefs
>man page knows nothing at all about ACL.

=46rom tunefs man page:

     -a enable | disable
             Turn on/off the administrative ACL enable flag.

>So what do I need to do to get ACLs to work? Also, I was wondering
>when to use ugidfw (more exotic stuff, I presume) and when just basic
>ACLs. I think the whole ACL stuff could use some more docs, anyway.
>For most users, this could be the single most visible change to the
>system (SMPng etc are mostly under the hood so that's not as obvious
>to most).
>
>I'd appreciate any comments or pointers on this issue.
>
>TIA & regards,
>Gabriel

--=20
Regards,