Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 03:57:21 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, se@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, mrcpu@cdsnet.net
Subject:   Re: IRQ sharing on PCI?

>> >This depends on the PCI BIOS, which is free
>> >to assign any IRQ to any PCI Int line.
>> >PCI requires shared interrupts to work, since
>> >there are far less real interrupt request
>> >inputs in a typical system, than independent
>> >PCI Int lines.

>This means that there are in fact four PCI Int lines, but
>most PCI cards will only use Int A. multi-function devices
>will use Int A and Int B, if two functions are implemented
>(see the AMD SCSI+Ethernet Combo chip), or all four lines
>if there are four functions on a chip (announced 4 channel
>Ethernet cards). And if you are using a PCI to PCI bridge
>(current 4 channel Ethernet cards and the AH3940 or PCI bus
>extender boxes, for example), then the PCI Int lines used
>will depend on the slots used on the secondary side of the
>PCI bridge. (The scheme used is meant to randomize PCI Int

But these aren't typical :-).  Now that Pentiums and PCI are
common in typical (cheap) systems, I guess that a typical
PCI system has 0 or 1 (unused) PCI interrupts depending on
whether vga0 has one :-].  Why aren't PCI interrupts used
for motherboard i/o, at least optionally?

BTW, `pciconf -r' dumps core after printing the usage message.

Bruce

Bruce