Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:58:57 +1100
From:      "Corey Ralph" <corey.ralph@datafast.net.au>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dedicated smtp relay box

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 06:46:43PM -0800, Tom Samplonius wrote:

>   It is never a good idea to do that.  It limits your scalability.  Use a
> "mail-in" host for the MX record, and a "pop" host for inbound mail and a
> "mail" host for outbound mail.  Almost unlimited scalability.

Thanks for the tip, I wish I could do something like that.  But it was
like this long before I started here, and there is nothing I can do
about it.  Management wouldn't let me make a change that would require all
of our customers to make such a change.

>   I thought the issue was that it was overloaded and you had to get
> another box anyhow?  Also, the above scheme allows you to add as many
> scanner systems as required.

I was hoping that just relaying smtp wouldn't need a large system, so I
could use a spare box I already have.  I have a couple decent systems,
p3's with 512MB, but nothing like that one, 8x18GB + one hot spare, dual
p3 800, 1.7GB ram.