Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 17:12:16 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Cc:        Spikeman <spikeman@myself.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Virtualhosts an multiple addresses

Hi,

You should maybe read the Apache docs on it because what Marc showed
you is name based virtual hosting.

http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/index.html

and this might also be of interest.

http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#serveralias

Regards
Willem Brown

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 08:12:32AM -0400, Nathan Vidican wrote:
> Spikeman wrote:
> >
> > Yes,, you can set up a vhost in apache, you should beable
> > to do this on the vhosts dir in your apache conf dirs..
> > just change the needed info... should look someting
> > like this..
> >
> > <VirtualHost 192.168.0.0>
> > ServerAdmin webmaster@host.some_domain.com
> > DocumentRoot /home/web000/public_html
> > ServerName 192.168.0.0
> > ErrorLog logs/192.168.0.0-error_log
> > TransferLog logs/192.168.0.0-access_log
> > ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/web000/public_html/cgi-bin/
> > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > Nathan Vidican wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible, to have name-based virtual hosting wherein any given
> > > virtual host can be accessed as somehost.com, or www.somehost.com;
> > > preferably without having to add to virtual hosts to the system?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Nathan Vidican
> > > webmaster@wmptl.com
> > > Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.
> > > http://www.wmptl.com/

> > --
> >      ___
> >     /\  \ phase two of global domination in operation, hide all lions.
> >    /::\  \
> >   /:/\:\  \ Comments or Questions email spikeman@myself.com
> >  _\:\~\:\  \
> > /\ \:\ \:\__\ Spikeman      spikeman@myself.com
> > \:\ \:\ \/__/    http://www.spikeman.net
> >  \:\ \:\__\    Find Me On EFNET /whois Spikeman
> >   \:\/:/  /
> >    \::/  /      Friends are lights in winter;
> >     \/__/ The older the friend, the brighter the light.
>
> Again, I am using NAME based hosting, there are almost 200 sites hosted
> on that one IP address. My virtualhost setup looks something like this:
>
> NameVirtualHosts x.94.149.9:80
>
> <VirtualHost www.whatever.com>
>  ServerName www.whatever.com
>  DocumentRoot /home/someuser/public_html
> </virtualhost>
>
> <VirtualHost www.whatever.net>
>  ServerName www.whatever.net
>  DocumentRoot /home/user/public_html
> </virtualhost>
>
> <VirtualHost www.whatelse.com>
>  ServerName www.whatelse.com
>  DocumentRoot /home/some-user/public_html
> </virtualhost>
>
> I cannot simply put <VirtualHost x.x.x.x> and host on an IP basis; we're
> expecting to host in the neighborhood of 2-3 thousand websites, and we
> don't want to waste static IP's on those we don't have to.
>
> --
> Nathan Vidican
> webmaster@wmptl.com
> Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.
> http://www.wmptl.com/

 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

If a program is useless, it will be documented.